Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences. When materials are contaminated with blood or bodily fluids those materials need to be cleaned correctly. For porous materials like drywall or carpet and pad, those materials need to be removed as they are not able to be cleaned. A failure to properly remove such substances can contribute to unhealthy and dangerous environments. SERVPRO of North Portland / West Hawthorne is trained to safely remove biohazards and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations. Once materials have been safely removed it is important that they are disposed of the correct way to ensure the safety of everyone.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (503) 907-1161
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of North Portland / West Hawthorne has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- North Portland
- Lloyd District
- Ladds Addition
- Rose City